Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I Am A Happy Man!

I have just given away my bible and now, I'm the happiest man in the universe.

"Do you have an english bible?" The lady asks in Mandarin. My friend shakes his head.
"I have one. Do you want it?" I offer.

Her eyes glow with expectation and happiness. "Yes please. I want it for my daughter who is learning english."

I walk her to my bag and remove the bible from its pouch. I slowly flip the pages, careful not to tear them, and try to find the bookmarks that i have littered the pages with. All this while, wondering if she'll mind the minimal highlighting of bits of scripture and hoping that she'll still be able to catch the tour bus back while waiting for slow old me.

I finally hand her the bible. She grabs it and smiles, and smiles, and smiles. I've never seen someone so happy to receive an english bible before.

She says "thanks you.", does a small cutesy and scoots off after her bus.

At that moment, I hear the heavens explode with fireworks and God laughing with immense joy. He laughs and laughs till the tears streak his cheeks and smiles at me.

And at that moment. That very short moment.

I was the happiest man in the universe.

Jonathan Lim
NTU

No comments: