Thursday, February 15, 2007

“God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.” – Heb 11:40

God so amazes me with how He specifically includes us to partner Him in bringing people to Him, that in doing so, I may be given a chance to be awed in the process and experience that complete joy it gives.

I had decided to organize a little get-together with two of my primary school friends whom I’ve not met in ages. While I only intended it to be a fun catch-up time (with absolutely no intention to bring the gospel in), God obviously had other plans. During the course of our conversation, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that one of them had just received Christ a few months ago. She said she wanted to visit a particular church (which I so happened to be going that very week for a friend’s baptism!) and so, decided to go together. She then casually asked my other friend YJ if she would like to join us.

At this point, me of little faith thought “aiyah, she won’t join us one la”. It didn’t help that YJ was strangely silent for a long while after the question was raised. “Probably thinking of how to say no in a nice way”, I thought. YJ then broke the awkward silence, uttering very softly with a somewhat-pained expression, “Actually, I’ve been thinking of going to church for a long while…”

She then went on to relate how, since about 8 years ago, she sensed something within her prompting her to go to a church, to receive Christ. But coming from a family that strongly opposes it, she chose to run away, and have never voiced this out with any of her Christian friends. Yet, of late, this feeling was getting stronger and stronger, and the guilt of running away was simply too overwhelming.

YJ said that she didn’t know why she was telling us any of these things, since we haven’t been in contact for years. But she acknowledged that God put us there at that time, and started a conversation about God, to speak to her.

I was stunned. And excited.

To the church we went on Sunday. I prayed desperately for her salvation, especially during the altar call. But, she didn’t respond to the call. I was disappointed. But still I continued to pray for her, and passed her a copy of the 4SL, explaining a bit of what it covered.

A week later, I got a SMS from her saying that she had asked her parents if she could go to church, and her parents had got really upset about it. I called her and we talked further. I had the opportunity to share with her my own personal testimony, and of God’s faithfulness and love. Encouraging her to press on, I asked her if she’d like to give her life to Jesus personally.

And she said “Yes!”

As she said each word of the sinners’ prayer after me on the phone, my heart was so so warmed and exhilarated! Each word was so precious...

Now, I have just finished doing the last session of follow-up with YJ, and she has also found a home church. I am reminded of the passage in Acts recounting the encounter between Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. God is the one who works within the hearts of men. He is the one who caused the Ethiopian (and YJ) to seek Him. I am just called to join Him in His work, like Philip, to simply be there for YJ, explain the gospel and give her an invitation to know the good Lord.

All glory to God.

Rena
NTU

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.